REJECTION OF FULANI RUGA SETTLEMENTS IN MIDWEST TERRITORIES OF DELTA & EDO STATEí
The attention of the MIDWEST MOVEMENT, the pan-Edo/Delta group of distinguished sons and daughters drawn from the Ethnic Nationalities of the old Midwestern Region, has been drawn to the renewed plot by the Federal Government to forcefully or tacitly annex swaths of lands belonging to various ethnic nationalities in States across Nigeria, in a bid to settle Fulani herders in colonies to be known as RUGA Settlements. The Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Mohammed Umar reiterated this untoward plan, on Tuesday 25th June 2019 in Abuja. Reportedly, The Federal Government within the next five years, plans to establish these said Ruga settlements in states across the country.
The Midwest Movement totally and unequivocally rejects this brazen “21st century Colonization” in its entirety!
We call on the Federal Government to immediately rescind its planned veiled colonization of our peoples, while enjoining the Governments of our home-states of Edo and Delta reject same in clear and unequivocal terms. While not opposing the desire of the Federal Government to settle nomadic herdsmen (and any other such groups whatsoever), these should be done in areas and land that are native to such groups. The planned aggregation in whatever guise, of the lands of the 12 ethnic nationalities of the Midwest Region of Nigeria, without recourse to consultations with the traditional and bonafide owners, is akin to an invasion.
As peace-loving people, and firm believers in a One Nigeria where peace, justice and equity reigns, the Midwest/Bendel peoples of Delta and Edo States firmly advice the Federal Government against the perpetuation of any policy that may impact negatively on the seeming already strained unity of the Nigerian federation.
We call on Mr. President, the Governors of Edo and Delta States, our national legislators, our leaders, the international community and all persons of goodwill to help keep Nigerians and its indigenous peoples safe.
The MIDWEST CALL
The MIDWEST REGION was created as the 4th REGION of Nigeria, after the July 13, 1963 Plebiscite/Referendum. This makes the Midwest, the only Region/State in Nigeria created by due constitutional process. The creation of the MIDWEST articulated the Voice for Minority Rights within the Nigerian Federation. Consequently, the MIDWEST MOVEMENT of Edo and Delta States calls for the re-Federalization/Restructuring of the Nigerian Nation-State, based on informed understanding of best practices, and employing the fiscal allocation provisions of the pre-1966 Constitutions as useful templates. Most importantly, the Midwest peoples of Edo and Delta States insist on engaging in the FEDERAL ARGUMENT as ONE region out of the FOUR original regions of Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.
*Members & Management of the MIDWEST MOVEMENT*
26th June 2019.
- Edo Guber 2024: Senator Osunbor vows to provide water for Edo Central within one year if voted Governor
- Tribunal Upholds Bauchi State Governor’s Election.
- After sacknofn Kano governor, tribunal upholds PDP governorship election in BAUCHI State.
- Just in! Tribunal Sacks Governor Abba Yusuf Of Kano, declares APC’s Yusuf Winner
- Organised Labour Raise Alarm Over Alleged Plan To Sell 110 Federal Govt Colleges.
- Nasarawa moves to end endless prosecution of criminal cases in courts, targets four months.
- BREAKING: NCC announces major change to fixed lines numbering format
- BRAND NEWS: JULIUS BERGER WINS 8TH CONSECUTIVE CONSTRUCTION SECTOR LEADERSHIP AWARD AT #IAMBRANDNIGERIA’S TOP 50 BRANDS 2023
- NLC Planned Indefinite Strike May Take Effect Thursday
- The Big Five Construct Nigeria Exhibition: